Friday 13 April 2012



I thought I would start and end this post with good news. Well, at least in the sense that no news is good news, right? We have yet to hear back about the bacterial culture done on my malfunctioned PICC line from 2 weeks ago, so I am taking that as a good sign. We met with our surgeon who couldn’t confidently assure us that we wouldn’t have the same problem again; apparently they use the same lines all across Alberta, and I am not the first patient who has experienced difficulties leading to removal and reinsertion. I was presented with the option of having a central port (or “Port-a- Cath”) implanted under the skin in my chest. Like so:

Because it is under the skin, it needs to be accessed by a needle (with IV tubing attached) and remains in the skin for a week before requiring a dressing change (similar to the duration of the PICC line dressing lifespan); only this time, a dressing change involves removing the IV tubes by pulling the needle out and getting them reinserted by getting stuck with a new one. This makes it much more sanitary (smaller hole for infection to get into). It can last under the skin forever, so if I end up needing treatments/hydration less frequently, I can just remove the IV line and not need the dressing/tubing in my way. Eventually when I am finished with it, I can have it removed.

The downsides: a two inch scar on my chest. A gross looking bump: (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Port-catheter.jpg/220px-Port-catheter.jpg), and getting poked every week.

The pros (as compared to a PICC): I can lift more than 10lbs without causing my incision damage. So as I get better and can do more, I will actually be able to DO more! I am hoping I can cover it more discreetly; I do not have to worry about 
kinking the IV tubing when I am hooked up to the pump (and heaven forbid bend my elbow to read, or type, or crochet!); there is much less worry over infection, and it is all-in-all more reliable.

I have my surgery scheduled for April 20th (next Friday), and I’m scared. They don’t put you under, just local anesthesia and something to make you loopy/notice less. Please pray all goes well, and that I get over this grossed-out feeling I have at my mental image of what it will look like.

Good news:
  1.       My parents are in town!! Yay :)
  2.         My Neighbour-friend rented me a wheelchair, so on my “good” days, I can get out and go for walks with Jack, and maybe even out shopping!
  3.      My mood is much better these days. I don’t know if it is because I am healing or because of the gorgeous weather here, but I am feeling less burdened and more positive and hopeful than I have been in over a year.

I pray that you all had a joyful Easter, filled with the hope and promise of new life!


Blessings,


Kate

 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; 
   let them ever sing for joy. 
Spread your protection over them, 
   that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous; 
   you surround them with your favor as with a shield.”

~ Psalm 5:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment