Sunday 23 February 2014

To the mom in bed, who no one sees

I have been reading many beautiful articles aimed at mothers, working and stay-at-home alike, giving the much-needed encouragement these women need. I find them kind, inspiring, and hopeful; but not for the same reasons most other parents do. In fact, most often, I want to send them to my husband, exchanging the synonyms for “mother” with everything he is as a father; because these articles talk of stained clothes and skinned knees; countless PB&J sandwiches, and trips to the park; they speak of tending to all of the things I hope to one day do. And they make me think: there has to be more to motherhood than the tasks I can’t do. So, in honor of mothers who have to do things a little differently, here is my post on the subject:

To the mom in bed, who no one sees,

Before this, you had no idea how badly you’d wish you could change a poopy diaper. No one would believe you when you said the thought of changing urine-soaked sheets in the middle of the night (or any time at all) would be a desire you held in your heart. That the mindless tasks that nobody hopes for, but almost every mother performs, seem like the greatest gift you could receive. To make the dinner that gets refused; to bundle your child up for fifteen minutes only to hear, “I have to pee!” To the grocery store runs with a toddler that were timed too close to a meal or a nap that leave the whole store trembling in your wake. You dream of these days that will give you the badge of motherhood. But instead, you wait.


You wait, and you ache; you worry over whether your child will know they are loved enough, or thought of enough, or important enough to you; simply because you cannot do these things. You sit on the floor to hold your crying baby, crying yourself because you are too weak to stand, and all that baby really wants is a mama who will hold him and walk. You give assured kisses as your child tucks you in for bed, promising you love them and will see them soon. You deny playtime and beg wearily for a quiet cuddle instead; but that rambunctious 1 year old doesn't know what it means to sit still (or why you can’t chase him).

You delegate. You try to know her favorite food or his schedule, but sometimes you fail; because life is ever changing, and you aren't always there to see it. You teach others how you want your child raised: from time-outs, to picky eating, to how much screen time is allowed in a day; you stress the importance of not telling a child they are bad, but that their behavior is bad. You research to make sure that there isn't a “better way” of doing things, and pass along all the wisdom you have gleaned.

You push yourself harder than you should—past what your body or your sanity can handle—just to have a “normal” experience with your child once in awhile. You adapt. You learn what you can do with your child, and you give it your all. You read to him; you read, and you read, and you read. You break your own rules about screen time just so you can keep him still so as to be together a little while longer. You share snuggles when you can; make shadow puppets; tell stories about your childhood or how you met Daddy. You teach him about God, and The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. You pray together. You have picnics in bed. You tickle and you laugh and you love. 

You do your best to help them understand something that should never have hit this close to home; and explain the wonders and dangers of the medical world around them. You let them play doctor on you, and feel a strange mix of pride and sadness when the squeamishness you felt as a child isn’t present in them—but  just the opposite—as this world of medicine is the norm for him now, too. You thank God this happened to you, and not them.  

You discipline. You get very creative at disciplining a child that you can’t chase after. You teach; you inform; you correct; you forgive. You teach what it means to show compassion, and how to do so regardless of your circumstances.

You ache for all you cannot do: volunteer in the classroom, enjoy the summer outdoors, or even give your child a bath. You watch as someone else does it for you, and feel gratitude, jealousy, sadness; and, sometimes joy. You experience the bittersweet feeling of knowing your child loves their caregiver, happy that a positive bond is formed; and, sad that it isn’t with you.  

Dear mother that thinks no one sees:  I do. I see how the world so often defines motherhood as caring for your child’s physical wellbeing, and I challenge it with you. I know the struggle with self-worth, and the direct correlation you make between how much you can do, and how valued you are. I know you worry that their childhood will slip away without you ever being a "real" part of it. I know how much you love your child, and how that love is no less than the mothers who are physically able to do laundry or unload the dishwasher. More importantly: your child sees you. They feel your love and know it is there. In the midst of your doubts and your worries, they know. Even when you aren’t the one to share in that childhood favourite, or hold their hand on the way to school, they know. You are irreplaceable.  For as long as you are loving them, you are their mother. And there is no doubt in my mind, by that definition, you are a not only a mother—but a good mother, too.

Love,

Kate


This post was directly inspired by this beautiful one, here, at  Faith and Composition. For all you mamas who aren't sick and need a boost, head over and recharge!


Her children rise up and call her blessed. Her husband also praises her:
"Many women do noble things, but you excel them all."
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman who fears The LORD, she shall be praised.”
Proverbs 31:28-30


6 comments:

  1. SO beautiful and well written. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Blessings to you and your wee one!

      Delete
  2. Oh how i teared up at this, Such a beautiful post today ! What an amazingly Strong woman you are kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Candace. I am not strong at all really, but He carries me day by day :) I don't know what I would do without my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kate...thank you for this post. It is getting closer to my reality, and for that I am so grateful. I had my children older than most (39, 42 and 45)...and birthing enormous babies, um, brings some collateral damage with it. But while I was just barely pregnant with our third son, we were rear ended and my neck and low back were badly injured. From that day, I couldn't pick up my son or get down on the floor to play. I had to abruptly stop nursing him, because I was too exhausted with a new pregnancy and trying to heal. I had major ligament damage...just as my body was producing ligament relaxing hormones. Both older boys suffered concussions in the accident...but their symptoms were slow to develop.

    All of our injuries were "invisible". Some of them showed up in neurological weakness, or sensitivity to over stimulation by light and sound, or "zoning out"...but even we had a hard time seeing them for what they were in small children. Very few could see them in me....

    But what has followed in the ensuing 14 years has been an unbelievable string of fluke accidents that have kept me down: rear ended again 2 years later (two years of neck and head pain); ankle sprain the next year (bed rest for 5 weeks!); adrenal failure 2 years later; fell on the way to the mailbox 5 years ago, suffering TBI, laceration on eyebrow, sprained wrist...and changed my whole brain neurology--none of which was visible; 8 months ago, my eldest son and I were hit by an uninsured driver going 45 mph who didn't notice traffic was stopped for a bridge lift. Totaled our can and almost killed us. He has brain stem injuries that affect his vision and heart and muscles...and is struggling at a college freshman who no longer learns the way he always has...losing his photographic memory and amazing reading skills. I have another concussion and jammed every joint in my body keeping us from hitting the cars ahead of us. My son came home from college at Christmas and said "Mom, I totally get all your concussion stuff now." He has joined me in the invisible world of TBIs.

    As if that isn't enough (and the two younger boys have had more than their share of accidents, too!), seven weeks ago we were sledding in the very unusual 15" of snow we had. There was an old, 4' log with a 4" branch stub, buried at the bottom of the steep part of the hill.... When we hit the log, it felt like I'd been hit with Thor's hammer and the lights went out for me. I awoke to discover the branch stub had punctured the back of my thigh...and came home (two ERs and an ambulance ride later) with a freakish 14 sutures in a V shape and a leg I couldn't move at all.

    I cannot sit down or put any pressure on the back of my leg. Four more weeks, they say, before sitting will be normal...then three more months for the internal injuries to stabilize...and maybe another 12 months for complete healing.

    God has taught me so much in these past five years that I am through the dark tunnel far enough to say that if this path was the only way to learn this, then it was worth it. I know my children are not there yet, and it is so difficult to see them blame me for the challenges and hardships....

    I know the day by day walk you speak of...sometimes it's moment by moment, eh? I have recently learned that Jesus doesn't rescue us from our circumstances...he walks through them with us. This is something my head knew, but my heart hadn't experienced. It is a mystery to me, the distance between head and heart knowledge....

    One of my dear friends has Lyme, as does her older daughter, so I have some awareness of your challenges. May you hold fast to your faith in the Three who are One who see and hear and feel and know all your sorrows... and be comforted by the fact that you are never alone in the mess, for there are always four of you in it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AbiSomeone,

      I'm sorry I didn't see this until now! Thank-you for taking the time to share your story with me. What a long and difficult road you have walked. I am so glad to see you have faith to keep you going and growing through the hard times. May God bless you always for your faith and perseverance; and may your children come to know the glory of his His plans for us, and the beauty that can be found in suffering.

      Blessings,

      Kate

      Delete