Monday 6 February 2012

Today is unlike any other day for me; the aftermath of this weekend's fundraiser (which I was unable to attend) has left me more at a loss for words than even my worst Lyme days. I suppose I could liken the awe to that after my wedding day, except that I planned that, participated in it, and the guests attended to share in our joy.

Saturday night, over 300 people, some that I know--many that I do not, filled a banquet hall. They walked through the doors prepared to share in our struggles. And some of the most selfless, humble people I know produced what I have heard described as:  

“Amazing!”

 “A high-class event,”

 “...like a wedding,”

“[that] went off seamlessly!”

 ...all the while campaigning for my benefit. The silent auction tables were overflowing with gifts to be won: some donated from the loving hands that made them; others, from businesses and individuals the community.

I don’t know the totals yet. And quite frankly, they don’t matter. To go from thinking that maybe you can’t, to knowing you can, is the best gift anyone could have given our family. Hope.

To our friends who organised the evening; to the ones who volunteered throughout; to those who attended to show your support; THANK-YOU. You have given us a glimpse of God’s amazing love for us, and it is more overwhelming than I ever imagined. And because of that, I can say with full confidence,

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy!” (Psalm 126:3 )

and,

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us” (1 John 4:12) 


We used both of these verses in our wedding, and as different a situation this has already established itself to be: they couldn’t fit more perfectly now.

I would like to be able to post the video that played for those who would like the opportunity, but for now the best I can do is get hardcopies to those requesting them. You will have to settle for a few photos and the speech Matt gave on my behalf (bringing this post to a close):

To my dear family, and friends—old and new,

Thank-you all for being here tonight.  I have to apologize for my lack of presence this evening. I have known, regrettably, for some time that I would not be able to join you; my health has deteriorated to the point where my immunity doesn’t stand a chance in a crowd of this size, nor does my mental health. I have always loved to be part of a crowd; now, they leave me a victim to panic attacks from the overwhelming anxiety that comes from amplified noise, smells, and lights. And as good as I sound on paper, these words can’t seem to flow the way they used to without considerable thought. As much as I regret not being here tonight, for the evenings’ reputation has preceded itself, I would be remiss if I didn’t make an appearance somehow.

This has and continues to be an overwhelming experience for our family. Almost immediately upon our return from the States, we were approached by our beautiful friend, Kim Bombak, requesting consent to start planning a fundraiser. Before we knew it, an entire team was formed, and many nights (and days) were spent planning, meeting, and coordinating the smallest details to the most extravagant ones. As much as we are overwhelmed by this disease, we are overwhelmed by peoples’ unbridled love and generosity towards us as well. This night would not be the spectacular event it is without each and every person on this team, and we are so grateful and humbled by the friends and family we have been blessed with; some that have been there from the very start of this dreadful disease: making meals, cleaning our home--and later, caring for our son. Friends I know we will have long after I’ve recovered.

Thank you all for being here tonight. For caring; for proving the overpowering amount of good in the world, and for making an incredible difference in our family and in our lives.  Just being here tonight, giving Matt the opportunity to see the army behind us, means the world.

Each and every one of you is in our prayers. Each and every one of you is an answer TO our prayers.

I hope that you enjoy the evening; that you would feel blessed and inspired by being a part of something bigger than all of us. Something that, together, I know we can beat.

We love you all.

 Kate






Photo Credit Ruth Frechette and?? (-- please let me know!)

6 comments:

  1. We were and are glad to do whatevere we can. You guys are a family worth loving.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. We came to your wedding to share your joy, we came to the fundraiser to support you in your time of struggle. And we will all be there anytime, joy, sadness or just plain life :)

    We are all praying for your recovery.

    Amanda, Foster and Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,

    I was unable to make it to your fundraiser, as I'm in the United States with my family. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! God bless,

    Sarah Isinger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,

    Great blog post! Thanks for sharing with us. Again, I was really proud and honoured I could take part in the event.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a wonderful opportunity for all those involved to practice our faith, to be an active part of the Body of Christ. Thank you for giving us that opportunity to grow in faith, hope and love! You will continue to be in our prayers.

    Fred H. (Heather's dad)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a great blog post. So nice to read the comments and see the photos! Sorry that I couldn't attend the event. Rest assured of our love and continued prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete