Tuesday 26 June 2012

We're Coming Home!!!


It is with great excitement that I can announce, after four  LONG months, that we are moving home! In almost as swift a fashion as we left in, we are hoping to return with similar speed: this weekend to be exact.

The doctor closer to home is now prepared to work with us! After what seemed like a disappointing initial visit a few weeks back, the wonderful Director of Nursing ended up calling me. She worked through a number of phone calls and text messages to get the information she needed to bring in the proper equipment and train with it. And, as an answer to many more prayers, the doctor agreed to all necessary conditions to make the move a safe and dependable one. (Isn’t God amazing?!)

The appointment with our doctors last Friday went well. Both were pleased with the improvements my health has made during our time here. I was feeling very discouraged recently just how slow progress seemed to be. I know this is supposed to take time, and that I have shown improvement, I guess it was just feeling like the road to recovery was a never ending, almost unchanging, one. My prayer that God would show me how hopeful my progress has been was answered; and even though the road ahead is long, I am encouraged because it will be one surrounded by our family and friends.

I think somewhere in my mind, this time will always be viewed in retrospect as “the year we spent away”. It has been an incredibly long, hard, lonely time; one of healing and renewal; growth in wisdom and relationship with God. I am so very grateful for all of it. For the man who gave our family a fighting chance when he gave us his home; for the privilege to receive treatment that so many are denied; for the kind hospital staff; for our warm, tenacious, hardworking doctor; for the family we have made out of friends.

I don’t do very well with change...even going home is bittersweet. I am going to miss looking off the back porch and seeing farmland just houses away, or how homey the hospital feels here compared to others. But most of all, leaving anyone you love behind is just plain hard to do; whether it’s 3 of them, or 30. My connection here is a powerful one, and I think I will always see it as a home away from home.

I am excited to be settled back in our home; to be able to enjoy our yard ( I never really got to here, as we had a walk-out basement and the stairs were just too many!);  our cool basement; and most of importantly, seeing our friends and family in person once again!! I am certain that some things will feel strange after being gone for so long (I half expect our old pup Holly to be waiting for us there!)

 It feels like when any rite of passage comes to pass-- graduation, giving birth, etc.: after what felt like a never-ending journey full of trials and valleys and wondering if you will ever come out to see the other side, there it is: “already.” No matter how long it felt that it took to get here, now that it is upon us, I suddenly realise I could  I have done it. And that is an amazing feeling! More adventures to come, no doubt. But for now... here’s to the next leg of the race!

Peace and blessings you all,

Kate


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  

Hebrews 12: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment