Thursday 4 July 2013

Hope Abounds

This past weekend we spent out at my in-laws’ cabin. It has been a couple of years since I have been out there; and the first time tenting since I have, to my knowledge, been sick.  I was uncertain of my ability to make it out there (the drive alone is almost three hours, which takes a toll on my body); but, with the desire to share summer with my family, even if only for a couple of days, I was driven to push myself.

Dorky life jacket aside-- pure happiness!

 Once out there, the smell of fresh air and the sound of water against the shore filled my soul, and fueled me. My sister-in-law, nephew, and later, brother, came along as well; and spending time with them—sharing in each other’s joy, and taking delight in our sons’ experiences— multiplied the excitement tenfold.

So, pitching a tent outside the cabin, we camped for the first time together since our son was born. I waded in the beautiful lake water; a welcome respite from the heat. My family and I were on vacation! A real vacation. And it felt wonderful. It felt more than wonderful: it was pure bliss.
Other highlights were: jet skiing with my husband for the first time since we got engaged; laying on the beach to rest instead of my bed indoors; and being overwhelmed with gratitude and the beauty of God. I chased everyone around with DEET laden bug repellant (the kids wore it atop their clothes), and aside from feeling the need to do that, I didn’t have a care in the world. No paranoia at being out in nature. No fear of being out on the water. It was liberating, to say the least.

A date with my sexy husband <3

Tenting it, especially when sleeping in is still a necessity, turned out to be less than ideal. I got so overheated the next morning I almost had a seizure after I finally did fall asleep; between the late sunset and ongoing fireworks, I found it harder than ever to drift off! I went home with my siblings the night before my boys came home, and rested well in my own bed after being drained from the sunlight and over-exertion the days before.  As I said to Matt, this isn’t something I expect to be well enough to keep doing all summer, but it being the first time in years that I got to enjoy a piece of it, I sure am grateful for what I got!

Pulling Jack and Grandpa on the tube!

I was also reminded today, when commenting on the amazing smell of flowers and the summer air in our yard, that there was a time that I couldn’t handle those smells. Isn’t that wild!?! I had forgotten completely that last year around this time I asked Matt to display the gorgeous flowers I’d received in the kitchen instead of our bedroom, for hyper-sensitivity to the smell of them. So many baby steps that I don’t even realise are going on are taking place; so many strange and terrible symptoms forgotten. It is weird and astonishing and wonderful to experience. It may not be all at once, but oh—to enjoy the smell of flowers again! To bask in the sun! To relish the company of others! It keeps coming along, day by day.


May God keep you safe as you enjoy what this summer has in store!


Blessings,


Kate



“The Lord gives strength to His people; the LORD blesses His people with peace.”

Psalm 29:11


“And [the LORD] said, ‘My presence will go with you,
and I will give you rest.’”

 Exodus 33:14


“As for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.”


Micah 7:7

No comments:

Post a Comment